Sunday, July 22, 2012

Families

So I did not post yesterday amid the craziness of finishing some stuff that had to get done before 11AM and getting my car cleaned, inside and out (first time in 2 years), and getting out the door to head to the "Cultural Berkshires" for my Dad's 75th birthday. Technically, not until Tuesday.

As I have previously mentioned Mary Ellen, my step-mother is an amazing cook and hostess. Turns out my nephew is an excellent grill master as well. My sister and brother-in-law were there as well. With food issues running amok in my head that scared me the most. We have not spoken pretty much since we buried my mom. It went well. I saw my nieces and met my nephew. Shaun (my younger niece) on the surface has an uncanny likeness to my sister who passed when Shaun was just a wee tot. We're FB friends now- I'm thrilled.

We had to drive back so we missed cake, but it was a great day and I am hoping a first, not a last, turns out both my nieces are pretty cool and my nephew seems like an excellent young man.

My Dad and Army were off to the side for a little while, deep in conversation. Argh...Fumble came up in conversation later so who knows what that was about. Fumble is a story for another day.

And the good news...because my step-mother is such an amazing cook, there was stuff I could eat! I stayed away from the cheese plate and crackers and lox and pumpernickel with all the trimmings-mostly because I do not like smoked salmon. I ate the veggies from the tray, less the dip and had some shrimp without the sauce. I had some sliced beets and tomatoes with feta, some quinoa salad my sister made with blueberries and pineapples, and some of the amazing steak the aforementioned Grillmaster did. It was fabulous. I would love more days like that with my family...wish my boys had been there. Would have been perfect..

And the other good news, on the scale this morning down 36.9lbs. It has been so long since I have seen that number, I was almost unsure how to say it!

Have a happy, healthy, and safe day. And yes, still going to Flay-land for Sundays Off; stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment