Sunday, May 27, 2012

Jamaica

I cheated.  I had to start prepping yesterday.  Price Chopper, my favorite grocery store, http://www.pricechopper.com/Stores/Details/NY-grocery-stores/207 had split fryers on sale for $1/ lb.  I bought 7 pounds. I then spent 2 hours after we arrived home breaking down chicken halves and skinning them. It seemed just as easy to prepare the marinade and put the chicken breast pieces in their bath.  Since I had my clever out to break down the halves, I whacked the breasts halves in half again, quartering them so they would absorb even more of the marinade.

Jamaican Jerk Chicken.  After spending the week doing some research, I have found that there is no single recipe.  It is sort of like tomato sauce--Sunday gravy--if you will in the Italian culture.  Every grandma has her own recipe.  The one I choose is high in allspice, garlic, ginger, and citrus.  It tasted pretty yummy.  I am also making rice with peas, but since I do not have the "peas" they recommend, I am substituting what they do recommend, red kidney beans.  It is made with coconut milk- who does not love coconut milk?

I am using the Organically Hip http://organicallyhip.net/, please note: NET not COM, (that takes you someplace boring) gluten free brownie mix to make tri-level brownies for dessert.  The base of the brownie is oatmeal, butter, brown sugar, egg, and flour.  I am using a mix of brown rice flour and almond nut flour.  Then the brownie mix and just as it is coming out of the oven, spread with chocolate ganache for which I have dark chocolate and heavy cream to make.  This is topped off with some Ben and Jerry's and a little homemade whipped cream.  I am very excited to see how this turns out.

This is an incredibly rich and fat-calorie ridden event.  The balance of the meal is grilled pineapple and fresh strawberries from the Farmer's Market.  That will help cut the richness of the coconut milk in the rice and "peas" dish.  Dessert there is no hope for.  It should be rich and decadent with no apologies...it's DESSERT!  Pictures tomorrow.

Have a happy, healthy, safe day!



No comments:

Post a Comment