Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Staycating is fun

So the Avengers...really?  Of course not!  Not when a movie with Dame Judi Dench is on the big screen.  I love her on TV, I love her as M, I love seeing anything she is in.  If my hair would be that color I would never have to go to the salon.  I have to tell you, the aroma of popcorn when I opened the door to the Marquis Cinemas in New Hartford was overwhelming.  Serious will power is the only way to survive that.  I think it helped that yesterday morning I was able to slide on a pair of capris that I have not been able to wear in three years.  That was certainly motivation for not ordering popcorn and soda.  But if I had hit a plateau or gained any weight (which, by the way according to the scale this morning I am down four tenths of a pound), I cannot say that my frame of mind would have been the same.

Old habits are hard to break.  Using food as an escape or as a comfort or out of habit comes almost as easily as throwing my watch on my left wrist.  It's just something I do.  I will grant you that the cravings are much less this time out than they ever have been in the past; but, I think that has more to do with my mind set than any external factors.  I know now that this is my life, that eating this way is the rest of my life if I wish to see my children live to middle age (at least).  I know that my attitude, like that of many of my fellow overweighters, is what will make me succeed.  But having used food for so much other than nutrition for so many years really creates a whole different level of "fixing".  I know the smarts of food and nutrition and now I am learning the smarts of emotion and intellect.

I am heading over to Windham today.  I will stop at Mom's, Stephie's, and Grandpa's graves.  I will stop at Todaro's Salumeria over in Windham.  Of course they have no webpage.  What's up with this?  Nobody seems to have websites.  I will grant you, they have been in business since I was in high school, so clearly they are doing well, but with the possibility of a web audience who knows the limits?  There is a wonderful little Italian grocery in the North End of Boston that I love...they have a website, I can order from them, I can have it delivered,  I can be transported in a manner of days to a small slice of heaven.  I don't get it.  Anyway, between there and Napoli's and Canoli's in Utica (they do have webpages, more on that Friday) I can potentially do a Sundays Off with something I fell in love with in Atlanta...so good, so bad for you, and definitely a Sundays Off food event!

Have a healthy, happy, and safe day.

No comments:

Post a Comment