Tuesday, April 24, 2012

No back up plan is never good

Maria and I never made it to Albany last night...day was way too long for both of us.  So, no PF Chang's for dinner.  Uh-oh, no back up plan.  I was thinking I would order the lettuce wraps with the ground seasoned chicken if they still had it on the menu- been a while since I had been there.  I would have estimated the points, on the high side, always, mentally accounting for oils etc.  So I was set.  Gulp, now what?  The saving grace?  Our local Farmer's Market is held the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month this time of year and so I had just been there on Saturday.  I always pick up a variety of what I call noodle bowl ingredients and I always have Emeril's chicken stock (0 points) in the house.  I had roasted a chicken Sunday while the cheese was setting up because Tops had them for $.88 lb so I grabbed two and threw one in the freezer.  So I had shredded chicken as well.  The only challenge (I don't like problems) I had was no gluten free pasta.  I am not gluten intolerent or allergic or anything horrible, but thanks to some conversations with my older son I have found that I loose more weight without gluten products than with so Monday through Saturday they are not my friend.  My husband loves B.J.s Wholesale- that is another whole post- so we have copious amounts of Barilla Plus pasta, which in a pinch I will use because it does have the omega-3 added. 

I grabbed the wok ($14.99 at T. J. Maxx), everyone should own one, whipped out the onions, garlic, thai chilis and peanut oil.  Sliced ,chopped, and threw in the wok with a tablespoon of peanut oil.  Tossed in some soy sauce added some chopped up spinach, arugula, and mizzuna.  Wilted everybody and then invited the shredded chicken to the party added two cups of chicken stock, two cups of water and brought to a boil.  I boiled some water, cooked the pasta halfway, pulled it and tossed it (literally) into the wok.  Finished cooking the pasta, it absorbed some of the broth and we arrived at yummy town!  Points wise- 12 or so and I still came in at only 18 for the day, even with the quinoa, but I ate all day bannanas, carrots, grapes, tomatoes-- all 0 points!

Lesson learned- always have a back up!  When I made my espresso moments ago, I took tonight's protien out of the freezer.  Now I just have to figure out what to do with it!  Let you know tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment