Thursday, May 8, 2014

Beans...do I need to say more?

I love beans:  Black beans, red kidney beans, cannellini beans, lima beans, garbanzo beans, butter beans, heck even fava beans.  What I do not love:  Canned beans.  I bought my first electric pressure cooker a little over a year ago; loved it.  I was still working full time and the fact that I could come home at 5PM and still have dinner on the table by 7PM astounded me, and I am not talking take out!  I was losing weight and eating healthy and dried beans made it easy.  And then, tragedy.  I had become so accustomed to having it, that I gave how easy it made my life nary a thought until November 2013 when the pressure gauge broke.  I was on my way home from Long Island on the train a couple of days after Christmas when I realized I could no longer do without it.  I ordered another one.  Truth be told, I liked my first one better because it multi-tasked better, but this one was on sale.  

I did not start using it regularly until early April and now, I am convinced I will never live without one again.  The electric version is not terrifying as your grandmother's traditional stove top one was.  I have yet to have it explode the hot contents all over (although I did do that once with a roasted eggplant and still have a small scar, but that is another kitchen adventure of years gone by and I come off looking silly.)

I had a ham bone in the freezer, dried black beans in the cupboard and time on my hands!  Also had some Sabra salsa, one of the few prepackaged food companies whose products I will occasionally use because I can read all the ingredients and they are really foods.  I also found some uncooked flour tortillas, again able to read all four ingredients, and queso fresco...and the end result:


No comments:

Post a Comment